Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Musicians


As I was practicing in the music building this morning, it struck me that it is possible to crudely categorize some of the practicing I hear in the basement.


Plonkers

These pianists play a thudding/wandering style of music. They should be commended for their musical focus: they seem to meditate on a single refrain for hours. Years.

Orchestrals
The virtuous orchestra members who practice their parts. I have only praise for this group: there are a lot of things that would be more fun to practice.

Howlers
The singers who never seem to progress beyond the warm-up phase. "AAaaahh-ah-ah-ah-ah-a-e-ooooooooo, aeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeea" Shriek Shriek.

Afterglos
Usually a small congregation of talents-- destined for Vespers, or Afterglow, or Not. They have to practice that little solo refrain... ("One more time, One more time: Aaaaaaaaa")

Maestros
These people dazzle me with scherzic glissandos, lush vibrato, and the extraordinary gift of never-ever sounding bad. Sometimes I feel like rushing off to call Deutsche Grammophon.

Schizomusiacs
Bach, Bloch, Brahms, Bartok. Oh, blast, what about Mozart? All in 5 minutes.

Players
"Never stop. Not until you've played the last note. "

Bar-enders
"Never finish a phrase. Micromanaging is key."

... enough for now.

12 comments:

Jonathan Gerrans said...

haha i think i'm one of the Schitzos...

Christy Joy said...

hahahahaha! And what category would you place yourself in, John?

Laurel said...

:) The basement of the music building is definitely a place to grow patience and improve concentration skills...

Emily said...

I am an ADD practicer- I may start practicing one song and then before I even finish it, I somehow manage to start a new one.

Caitlin said...

extraordinarily true - and humorous!
I wonder what Mrs. Minner would say?

Jonas said...

good question christy...

I tend to be a "player," I'm not good at getting down to the nitty-gritty practicing stuff, I just like to play it through.

Also a bit of a schizomusiac, especially when I'm playing everything badly.

Kristin said...

Terribly funny :) Sadly, if I were a musician, I'm afraid I would be categorized as a plonker... Lucky for the rest of you ;)

The word "blast" must be a Howe-ism. Ansley uses it all the time, and it never fails to make me smile.

Heather said...

Very thoughtful analysis. I am afraid I fit into the Schitzomusiac category more often than not. On the occasions the maetros inspire me I morph into a diligent player or an annoying plonker (depending on personal definition).

shama said...

lol I am sometimes a plonker, randomly and seldomly an orchestral, many times a player, and when I'm bored a bar-ender.

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Thats awesome John! I haven't really thought about it, but you really hit it :-). Remember trying to study for that test with Kelsey and hearing someone practicing tirelessly one phrase of music for hours?

Kelsey said...

lol... so true. I felt like I was in the music building.

Kelsey said...

from reading the blog, that is. lol I just saw Martina's comment and yes, oh dear. Fortunately, I don't still remember the phrase.