Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Lands End






My bike took me out to the end of route 24 yesterday. The scenic ride wends it's way through the communities on Orr's and Bailey Islands before the pavement runs into sea and sky at "Lands End".

I left our house at 4:40 P.M., just as the trees and sky began to glow with the golden light cast off by the setting sun.

I passed quickly through the lingering shadows, feeling impolite to dance through their councils, but it was the road's fault, it hurried me along, daring me to find it's last corner....

The grasses nodded cordially at my passing, they said they had been waiting for me... but I didn't believe them, I haven't seen them move in years.

I paused at Lands End to take some pictures. An elderly lady in her car smiled at me, tentatively, wondering if I would smile back, and when I did, the moment was just as beautiful as the scenery surrounding me.

4 comments:

Jonathan Gerrans said...

nice pictures, John, and awesome stories!

Paul said...

well written, my friend

Jonas said...

thanks much.

Caitlin said...

beautiful!
Love the sunset :)