Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bird List

I've been trying to identify some birds while I'm here. To be honest, some of the birds on this list are as mundane as a Crow in America (see Pied Crow) ... but as a complete novice, I'm happy with what might be boring to a better birder.

That brings up an interesting point.

I've discovered the joy of observing birds only in the past two years. My newfound incompetence is matched only by my budding enthusiasm. My work in Senegal has brought me into contact with a rich variety of new birds, and each bird that I see is a peculiar blessing from God. Other things that I've had a liking for (I think of collecting stamps when I was little) have faded away into obscurity. I certainly hope that the familiarity and competence that I hope to someday gain as I watch birds will not make me lose the joy of simply watching them, and delighting in each one. This makes me think of my walk with Christ.


 4Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
 5Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
Revelation 2:4-5 KJV


Great White Pelican
Hamerkop
Yellow-billed Stork
Pied Crow
African Finfoot
Laughing Dove
Speckled Pigeon
Piapiac (aka African Magpie)
Blue-Breasted Kingfisher
African Pygmy Kingfisher
White-Crowned Robin-Chat
Northern Red Bishop
Lavender Waxbill
Red-Cheeked Cordon-Bleu
Red-Billed Firefinch
Pin-Tailed Whydah

1 comment:

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

mmmmm!! What an awesome bird list! I wish I was there to enjoy them with you!