Monday, October 19, 2009

Mom

Mom is like the sunlight: true, clear, warm-bright. Mom is like a wind after listless sails, and a clear drink on dusty days.

Mom used to put me to bed every night. She would always say: "I love you hundreds of bushies" ... which being translated, means an extremely large quantity.

I remember waking up with so much energy that I had to run, jump, or wrestle. It was a joy to know that Mom fully approved of all of these exercises, especially outside. It was freedom, it was happiness. I'm sure it wasn't easy to let us go off on our crazy adventures: Mom did it anyways.

Mom makes the best bread I've ever had. The three of us grew up on simple, delicious, wholesome food that I hope to eat for the rest of my life. I was happy to find an ally in Mom when at around 4 or 5 years old I developed a liking for a supper of fruit and bread. This was a "fruitish" supper. And it's still my favorite.

Mom is incredibly adventurous. She showed me how to travel: how to be flexible, how to ask for help, how to pack light.

Mom was my tutor, driver / navigator to all those cello lessons, confidant, encourager, organizer, financial / academic adviser, nurse, cheerleader, waypoint, foundation, friend.

Mom gives so much. I'll never be able to repay the debt I owe. Mom, I love you with all of my heart.

Mom is like the sunlight.

4 comments:

The View from Great Island said...

yes, John, Mom is like the sunlight every morning, what a joy she is and has been for nearly 30 years. Dad

Caitlin said...

John, your loving word pictures for each family member are truly beautiful. Perhaps there is nothing more intricate and yet simple as heart family. Thank you for sharing!

Threads Everywhere said...

I enjoy being in her sunlight too! A wonderful friend! May God bless her, and give her long days, and much joy!

Barry Howe said...

Thanks John. Yes, Mom is sunshine.