Monday, September 22, 2008

Time Management

Last week, I tried to record the amount of time I spent in 12 different categories, which I figured would come fairly close to occupying all of my time. Here are the percentiles (Out of 144 hours -- 24 x 6)

Sleep: 35.0% -- Avg. 8 hours, 24 minutes, 10 seconds per night.

In Class: 16.1% -- Avg. 3 hours, 52 minutes, 30 seconds per day.

Study: 13.6% -- Avg. 3 hours, 16 minutes, 20 seconds per day.

Exercise: 6.9% -- Avg. 1 hour, 38 minutes, 40 seconds per day.

Biology TA: 5.0% -- Avg. 1 hour, 12 minutes, 30 seconds per day.

Eating: 3.3% -- Avg. 15 minutes, 40 seconds per meal (assume 3 meals per day).

Devotions: 1.9% -- Avg. 27 minutes, 20 seconds per day.

Cello Practice 1.9% -- Avg. 27 minutes, 30 seconds per day.

Odd Jobs (Cleaning, Organizing, Buying Groceries): 1.1% -- Avg. 15 minutes, 40 seconds per day.

UKCAT prep: 1.0% -- Avg. 14 minutes, 10 seconds per day

Internet: 0.8% -- Avg. 11 minutes, 20 seconds per day.

Gardening: 0.7% -- Avg. 10 minutes per day.

Pretty thorough, huh?

Guess Again: The difference between 144 hrs (total time in 6 days) and my "accounted for" time (125 hrs, 43 min) was 18 hrs and 17 min.

That is 18 hours and 17 minutes in my week that I cannot account for! That averages to 3 hours, 2 minutes, and 50 seconds that I cannot account for in every 24 hours.

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15-16)

5 comments:

Julianne said...

very interesting, jonas! good idea. I should do the same...those "unaccounted for minutes" could be used!

Alex said...

I have done a similar thing before and have thought of doing it again to see just how I do spend my time - maybe this will give me inspiration to do it... the last time I did I kept a notebook and wrote down everything I did and how long it took... and realized exactly where the wasted time went.

Jan Robert (Robby) Heiberg said...

Hey John! Great job! It was neat to see.
Remember that there are many small things in life which sure takes quite some time as well (in total) - showering, getting dressed, brushing teeth, walking to classes etc.
I do believe that it's important not to be "occupied" all the time though. Social time with friends/family is important for example.

I completely agree with your conclusion. Not to waste our time! Good luck with your time management :)

Kelsey said...

Wow, good for you John! That takes discipline. A fascinating study!

Barry Howe said...

I should follow your example. Robby brings up a good point, but I need to conciously schedule my social time. Thus in a sense, my time is always occupied. His point remains, however, because shouldn't treat my scheduled social time as occupied time. Time for people and relationships should be so special that it's timeless. I think I'm too focused on getting things done to claim first hand knowledge, however.